• Stephen Lecce, MPP

Ontario Provides Additional Protection for Retirement Home Residents and Staff

March 15, 2021

TORONTO — The Ontario government is investing $30 million to help the retirement home sector cover COVID-19 related costs such as hiring, training and testing additional staff, and sanitizing residences and purchasing supplies to prevent and contain the spread of infection. This funding is in addition to the $30.9 million that the province provided retirement homes earlier in the pandemic. "Retirement home operators are working tirelessly to stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep residents and staff safe," said Raymond Cho, Minister for Seniors and Accessibility. "Our government's additional funding will enable retirement homes to purchase more critical supplies like PPE, products to carry out deep cleaning, or to support more on-site testing to help further prevent and contain outbreaks." Ontario has more than 770 licensed retirement homes and many are run by small operators who urgently need the government's support to deal with rising costs related to fighting COVID-19. Ontario's retirement homes have been working cooperatively with public health officials across the province to ensure best practices are being followed to prevent and control COVID-19 and to help get residents and staff vaccinated. "The safety and protection of the seniors who live in our communities and the staff who provide their care are our number one priority," said Cathy Hecimovich, Chief Executive Officer of the Ontario Retirement Communities Association (ORCA). "We are grateful to work with a government that recognizes the vital role retirement communities play in Ontario's continuum of care for seniors. Thank you for your continued support of the retirement community sector as we work together to keep Ontario's seniors safe." Under the leadership of General (Ret'd) Rick Hillier, Ontario's three